Thursday, September 6, 2012

Thursday - a little bit of everything

This morning, the CK woke up singing, "Don't Go Breaking My Heart," (yes, the one by Elton John and Kiki Dee). The CK didn't complain about getting dressed or even comment about not wanting to go to school. He seemed okay as the family walked to school together. Leaving him at school, however, was very difficult. It wasn't until during my walk back to the dira, after the CK's teacher literally had to pull the CK off of my body, that I realized the irony of his song choice. It did break my heart to leave him like that. I know things will settle in for him at some point; it's just so hard to see him so unhappy. Pentheus and I joke that we can always use his college fund for therapy.

You know how when there is a really dirty parked car, someone invariably writes "Wash Me" or "Susan + Jim" on it? On the way home from school, there was a very dirty car on which someone had written in English on it "Israel loves Iran." I kept thinking about it during the day: What did someone mean? Why would someone write that? I haven't figured it out yet.

I do know, however, that the subject of Iran and its nuclear capabilities comes up a lot in Israel. During almost every meal we have had with Israelis, whether it be people we have met at synagogue, conversation with neighbors, or Pentheus's friends in Zichron Yaakov, Israelis are in agreement that Iran is a threat. The English-language Israeli newspapers that I have read (Ha'Aretz and the Jerusalem Post) have been replete with editorials about the issue. Some Israelis are convinced that under Netanyahu, Israel will unilaterally destroy any nuclear facilities in Iran. Many are angry that Obama and the United States haven't taken more of an initiative in eliminating Iran's nuclear power, and are convinced that Obama will not take any action before the election. A couple of Israelis have told me that, while Israel will certainly destroy Iran's nuclear facilities, Netanyahu is engaging in fear-mongering about Iran in an effort to make Israelis forget the "real" economic and social issues facing Israel.

The Israeli government has sent all Israeli citizens notices on when and how to pick up issued gas masks. At most of the malls, there are people weaving in and out of wrought-iron rows - think The Beast at Kings' Island - waiting to pick up their boxes. More than a few people have asked us what we are doing about getting gas masks for us and the kids. The answer is that we're working with Israeli Home Front Command (Israel's Homeland Security) to acquire them for the family, although we're not genuinely worried about it. The boys know what's going on but don't seem freaked out.

On a totally different note, I went to downtown Jerusalem today to buy the CK a new Math book (I had bought the wrong one yesterday). Afterward, I walked to Machaneh Yehuda, sort of a big outdoor market. The shops in Machaneh Yehuda sell everything from fresh fruit and candy, to live and dead fish and meat, from clothes to kitchen supplies, to books and Judaica. Here's a picture of the open bags of spices in multiple shops at Machaneh Yehuda. It's amazing to see and smell so many spices in the open air. It's not uncommon to see potential buyers lick their fingers to taste the spices before purchasing. One of my favorite spices is za'atar (http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/zaatar).








I also took a picture of this, despite the smell and disgust level. The guy pulled the live fish from the barrel and had the fish "kissing" his arm. Ick!

When I was in high school, I was very involved in a Zionist youth movement called Young Judaea. I spent 10 months in Israel on Young Judaea's Year Course program after I graduated from high school and before college. Not many people took "gap" years 25+ years ago, but it was a fabulous experience (and probably one of the main catalysts to my spending 5 months here now). Last week I stopped by the Young Judaea Year Course campus to see if there were any volunteer opportunities available. Today I received a phone call from the Year Course director, and we're hoping to find something for me to do there.

Although I'm sure I will jinx myself by writing this, I'm finally starting to find my way around many of the Jerusalem neighborhoods, at least those I frequent most. I know the closest grocery stores, bakeries and coffee shops, a few of the malls, plus the downtown area and Machaneh Yehuda. When I am on the bus, I recognize where we are and can even give directions (albeit simple ones!). There is still so much of Jerusalem that I don't know yet. I want to take the boys to places like the zoo, the Knesset (Parliament) and Supreme Court, the many museums, and for an extensive tour of the Old City. Plus, there's the rest of the country to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment