Monday, September 10, 2012

"Keetah Alef" (1st grade)

There was no mantra this morning while getting dressed and breakfasted (yes, that is a verb), and there were no complaints on the way to school. When we arrived at school this morning, Pentheus and the CK went into his 2nd grade class to get his materials. While I waited outside, two kids came up to me to say "bohker tov" (good morning). When I replied, one of the little girls asked me why the CK was leaving the 2nd grade. I explained in Hebrew that because the CK can't speak Hebrew very well yet and there are some English speaking kids in the 1st grade, that we thought it would be easier for him. I also said that we appreciated how nice they had been to the CK in wanting to help him out. I wanted to make sure she (and any of the kids whom she would tell what I had said) understood that it wasn't because they had done anything wrong or whatever. The CK and I went over to Hadaas but I was unable to prod the CK into saying thank you to her for everything. Hadaas said she knew the CK was thanking her even if he didn't actually say it. Hadaas also told the CK that he can come to her if he needs anything. I think that the CK is still going to be with Hadaas for Math class. Plus, because there are 3 1st grade classes and only 1 2nd grade class, they end up doing a lot of things together.

So then it was off to first grade (Keetah Alef)! Two of the 1st grade classrooms are in a different building than the 2nd grade and the remaining 1st grade. The CK put his school stuff down in his new classroom and we went outside to talk to Meital, his teacher. Meital was very sweet with the CK and said she would do what she could to make sure the CK was okay. Meital then introduced me to Yagel (the other English speaker in the CK's class) and Yagel's mother. Yagel's family moved to Israel from LA a couple of years ago, and Yagel speaks both Hebrew and English. Yagel seemed to be having a difficult time separating from him Mom, too, but I am not sure if that was for show or whether he's been like this every day. The CK stated that he wasn't staying at school and started walking to the other side of the school. When I called to him, the CK returned but I could tell he was nervous. He wanted a couple of extra hugs from me and then I left. (Everyone says it's easier for the both the child and parent if the parent just leaves. I agree totally with that, although it feels pretty crummy walking away.) I heard Yagel's mom saying to him in English, "See, the CK is going into the classroom. You can go in with him." Kind of amusing that the CK was the "model" for appropriate behavior!

When I picked the boys up from school, I asked the CK how his day had been. His response: "Awesome." He had played "Eesh Tahleeah" (Hangman!) in Hebrew and the CK had "guessed" the answer before being hung. The answer was, "Shalom, Keetah Alef!" (Hello, 1st grade!). The CK was excited. Meital later told me that when the CK answered the Hangman correctly, all of the other kids in the class shouted, "Hu m'dabear eevreet!" (He speaks Hebrew!)
When I spoke to Judith (the English teacher) at the end of the day, she told me that the CK had a good day, but mainly at the end. Apparently, the CK hadn't told me that he left his classroom a couple of times without telling Meital, and people had to go look for him. Judith suggested I talk to Meital. So, while the boys were playing soccer after school, I met with Meital, who said the morning had been hard but that by the end of the day, things were great. Meital told me that she told the CK both in English and Hebrew, to make sure he understood, that "hu chayav" (he must) not leave the class without asking to do so, and that "hu chayav" stay in class during lessons. The CK took it okay (i.e., wasn't crying when Meital spoke to him) and understood. Later, I spoke to the CK about it and repeated what Meital had said. I was very clear that we expected him to stay in class and only leave when Meital has said he can. I guess we'll see how tomorrow goes.

Tonight is the boys' Parents' Night at the school, and I am going to that. Pentheus took the boys to a street fair on Emek Refaim, which will probably be more fun. When the WK's teacher called last week to tell me about Parents' Night, I asked her in Hebrew whether it would be worthwhile for me to attend. Yael answered in Hebrew that if I could understand what she was saying on the phone, that it would most likely be worthwhile to go, and that if I didn't understand something I should ask her.

While the boys were at school, I tried to get a pedicure, but couldn't without an appointment. I now have an appointment for Wednesday morning. It's been over 7 weeks since my last pedicure!

****

I've just returned from the Parents' Night and have a lot to report. Details will have to wait until tomorrow to go in the blog. After 3+ hours of straight Hebrew, my head feels like it's going to explode! I can say that we are very impressed and appreciative that the school has done so much to integrate the boys and to help as much as possible. We are very pleased we chose the Szold School!

No comments:

Post a Comment