Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day, Soccer and Some Reflections

Today is Election Day in the States, and everyone is talking about it here in Israel. The election is on the front page of every major newspaper in Israel. My favorite is the third one with the headline "Who will laugh last?"





The Jerusalem Post and Ha'aretz, the two English newspapers in Israel, have had a huge number of articles dedicated to the elections with analysis after analysis about which presidential candidate would be "better for Israel" based on two key issues: Israeli security (particularly with respect to Iran) and the peace process considerations (e.g., Jewish settlements in the territories, Jerusalem, etc.). Many of the articles discuss the relationship between Obama and Netanyahu (the Prime Minister of Israel), and whether Israel would have more success in advancing its goals if Romney were President. Other articles talk about whether Obama should have drawn a "red line" with respect to Iran's nuclear capabilities or analyze what it means when Romney speaks about the Palestinian "culture" or that Obama's last visit to Israel was in 2008. Last week, though, was the first time I saw an article about the U.S. economy and its effect on Israel. The author wrote that while it's great for U.S. goals to be aligned with those of Israel and important that the relationship between Israel and the United States remain strong, it's the U.S. economy that's the critical issue to consider. He argued that a thriving United States is the best ally for Israel. I know many would disagree but after all I've read in the last 3 months here, I hadn't heard that before. The Jerusalem Post reported that one poll in Israel indicated that 85% of Israeli Americans who voted supported Romney and 14% voted for Obama. While I wasn't surprised that most of them were pro-Romney, I was startled by the huge percentage.
I'm anxious to hear election results, but I have to keep reminding myself I won't know anything until early tomorrow morning here. When the polls close on the West Coast, it will already be 6 am in Jerusalem. I've discovered that we have msnbc on cable in the dira, and it looks like that's my best TV source for coverage. I'll likely be keeping track online instead. If you are reading this blog post and you haven't voted yet, make your voice heard. Get out there and vote!!
At ulpan (Hebrew class) today, the main topics were the election and election coverage. I definitely learned a lot of Hebrew words! I knew that "b'cheerot" was "election" in Hebrew, but now I also know"mehdesk chadashoht" is "from the news desk" (and, to be honest, I don't think that "mehdesk" should be a Hebrew word at all; it's pretty lame); "meeshdar b'corah" is "exclusive broadcast"; "tzohfeem b'bayeet" is "viewers at home"; and "yahreev" is "opponent." I also learned a great word - "moorkahv" which means "complicated." I am definitely enjoying the ulpan and am learning a lot. Our teacher is great about finding creative ways for us to review what we've learned already, and our new words and topics are always timely and practical.

Speaking of, I have been watching a rerun of "House" on Israeli TV as I write this blog post. The show is in English (no Hebrew dubbing), but there are Hebrew subtitles. The patient on "House" just coded and went into cardiac arrest. Every time Dr. Taub used the charged paddles to try to get the guy's heart started again, the subtitle was "lefahnot." At ulpan last week, we learned that "lefahnot" means "to evacuate" in the context of Hurricane Sandy. Then, in my last post, I was excited because the waitress at lunch on Thursday used "lefahnot" meaning "to clear" in the context of removing dirty dishes from the table. Now, I also know that "lefahnot" can also mean "to clear" in the context of "get away from the patient before I shock him"! I know, I know, I get too excited about stuff like this.

Good news: The WK made the Szold School soccer team!! Apparently, he made the team a while back, but he didn't actually know it until yesterday. Either way, he is pleased to be on the team, and hasn't complained about having to be at school by 7:30 am for practice. I assume there will be soccer games against other schools, but we really have no idea. We should probably find that out, huh? The WK wonders if the competitive games won't start until after we return to the States. I hope that's not the case, for his sake.

And, while we're talking about soccer, today at school, the CK's class played soccer against another first grade class. The CK was very excited beforehand and had been requesting practice time and a good breakfast to make him strong for the game. I couldn't go because of ulpan, but Pentheus went to Szold to see the game; the CK was so happy to see Pentheus was there. The WK's class went outside to watch the game as well, and Pentheus said the girls from the WK's class acted like cheerleaders. Best part? Not only did the CK's team win, but the CK scored 1 goal and had an assist on another! He felt great, and when i picked him up from school, we went to the makohlet (neighborhood convenience store) to buy something sweet to celebrate.

Other exciting news: one of my closest girlfriends from 9th grade in Kentucky is in Israel for 10 days with her church in Minneapolis and another church group from Chicago. We met last night at the King David Hotel for drinks, and it was fabulous to see her! It was also unbelievably weird. Talk about two of my worlds colliding. It's been fascinating to hear about her experiences as a Christian in Bethlehem (where I have never been) and her thoughts on the Old City in Jerusalem. It's also great just to sit with a glass of wine and talk with a close girlfriend. I will be seeing her a few more times while she's in Israel.

It dawned on me yesterday that I don't think I ever put pictures of the dira in the blog. Here are pics of the entrance to the dira, the living room and the dining room area.



The living room is by far my favorite room in the dira. I love all of the natural light, and I've fallen asleep reading or watching TV more than once on the couches. There are things about the dira that I will miss.

I've been keenly aware of the fact that our adventure in Israel will be finished at the end of December, and it makes me sad. Even as I write this, I know rationally that we still have another 7+ weeks in Jerusalem, yet I keep finding myself thinking that we're leaving "soon". Tonight when Pentheus changed the Britta water filter and noted the date that we next need a new cartridge, I couldn't believe the next time will be December 6th, and that the next time we change the filter will be the last time before we return to the States. Somehow after the half-way point, it has felt to me like we're on the way out, when, in fact, this last big chunk of time has the potential to be the best part of this whole experience. Pentheus says that he has been feeling this same way, too. I kind of feel like the boys are finally used to school - the CK never complains or cries about school, and he doesn't ask for special treats as a reward for making it through the day. I've just started ulpan last week, and I know I won't learn as much Hebrew as I wish I would have. Pentheus is getting more work done which is great. There are still lots of things I want us to do in Jerusalem, and I know I need to make those things happen before it's too late. My goal is to make the most of the rest of our time in Jerusalem!

On a totally unrelated final note, I saw this on a stroller parked in front of the all-Hebrew, religious family daycare down the street from our dira. It made me happy.

1 comment: